The weather has been nuts in Houston. One day it’s cold and then next day it’s hot. It just so happened to be cold for a few days and I was craving soup. Something spicy was perfect to help stop the beginning of my cold. I pulled together all of these ingredient that I already had on hand which is so convenient. Not only did I add flavorful Mexican spices but I had a small piece of salami which really added meaty richness to the soup.
We had just finished celebrating a weekend of our friends wedding and got these cute heart shaped pasta- they made an appearance in my soup.
I suggest making this soup when you have a spicy craving, it’s fulfilling and heart warming 🙂
- 3 small shallots chopped
- 7 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 chile in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp chile powder
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 L chicken stock
- 5 oz cubed hard salami
- 2 Tbs grapeseed oil
- Pour 2 Tbs grapeseed oil into soup pot.
- Once heated, add shallots, garlic, and onion.
- Cook until translucent and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add carrots , tomato, and salami.
- After a few minutes, add the chili in adobo sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and chipotle powder.
- Once everything is mixed well together, add the chicken stock and simmer covered for about 30 minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook pasta until al dente. Once drained, add the pasta to each serving bowl then cover with soup.